Skip to main content
Back to Top

The 2016 Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR) to Congress

Alternate Title: 
2016 Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR) to Congress
Date Added to Library: 
Friday, July 27, 2018 - 09:19
Priority: 
normal
Organizational Author: 
Abt Associates
Individual Author: 
Henry, Meghan
Watt, Rian
Rosenthal, Lily
Shivji, Azim
Reference Type: 
Place Published: 
Washington, DC
Published Date: 
November 2016
Published Date (Text): 
November 2016
Year: 
2016
Language(s): 
Abstract: 

All Homeless People

  • On a single night in 2016, 549,928 people were experiencing homelessness in the United States. A majority (68%) was staying in emergency shelters, transitional housing programs, or safe havens, and 32 percent were in unsheltered locations.
  • Over one-fifth of people experiencing homelessness were children (22%), 69 percent were over the age of 24, and nine percent were between the ages of 18 and 24.
  • Between 2015 and 2016, the number of people experiencing homelessness declined by three percent. Declines were composed entirely of people staying in sheltered locations (which declined by 5%). Homelessness increased among people staying in unsheltered locations (by 2%).

Homelessness by Household Type

  • There were 355,212 people experiencing homelessness as individuals, accounting for 65 percent of the homeless population. Most (89%) were over the age of 24. Ten percent were between 18 and 24, and one percent were under the age of 18.
  • There were 194,716 people in families with children experiencing homelessness, representing 35 percent of the homeless population. Of people in families with children, 60 percent were under the age of 18, 32 percent were over 24, and eight percent were between the ages of 18 and 24.
  • Between 2015 and 2016, homelessness among individuals remained relatively flat (declining by less than 1%). Declines in the numbers of sheltered individuals (4%) were offset by increases in the numbers of unsheltered individuals (3%).
  • The number of homeless people in families with children counted on a single night declined by 6 percent between 2015 and 2016, and the number of homeless family households dropped by 5 percent. The number of sheltered people and unsheltered people in families declined by 6 percent.

Homelessness by Subpopulation

  • In January 2016, 39,471 veterans were experiencing homelessness. Nearly all (97%) were homeless in households without children (as individuals).
  • There were 77,486 individuals and 8,646 people in families with children with chronic patterns of homelessness.
  • Chronic homelessness declined among individuals by seven percent between 2015 and 2016, and by 35 percent between 2007 and 2016.
  • There were 35,686 unaccompanied homeless youth in January 2016. Most (89%) were between the ages of 18 and 24. The remaining 11 percent were unaccompanied children, under the age of 18. (Author summary)

 

Geographic Focus: 
Page Count: 
96
Share/Save

The SSRC is here to help you! Do you need more information on this record?

If you are unable to access the full-text of the article from the Public URL provided, please email our Librarians for assistance at ssrc@opressrc.org.

In addition to the information on this record provided by the SSRC, you may be able to use the following options to find an electronic copy from an online subscription service or your local library:

  • Worldcat to find an electronic copy from an online subscription service
  • Google Scholar to discover other full text options